Wednesday, July 25, 2012

we don't have to agree on everything.

Remember that old song, that goes, "It's only you and me, and we just disagree..."?

Lately I have been reminded of it because there has just been so much happening in the world that people just flat out disagree on.

Sometimes more serious posts need not serious photos.
(thanks B.)
Let me be clear: you do not have to agree with everyone on everything. We don't have to agree on everything, and we can still be friends. Can you imagine how boring the world would be if everyone agreed on everything? I believe we would never evolve, grow, change if we all had the same opinion about everything all the time.

The thing is, even if we disagree, we shouldn't feel the need to get so mad about it. If someone doesn't like something you like (say, the Olympic Games), it's okay. They are free to like whatever they want, even if it's something you're totally not into like watching UFC. There's no reason to degrade someone because of his or her personal preference. It seems like a waste of energy to argue about such things.

We are better because of our differences.

And yet...

My example was kind of weak. Lately, everyone is all up in arms about how one business is anti-this and another company supports this. Mostly it's political and religious reasons that have everyone raging at everyone else. You know it, and I know it. We've seen it. We live it. It's all around us.

You and I don't have to agree on political or religious anything. Like I said, we are better for our differences. I can understand, you are different from me. It's cool! But somewhere along the line, it seems our society has gotten the idea that we all have to think the same thoughts about everything. Something like, if you don't agree with me, then forget you! It's my way or the highway! If you don't like it, you should just get the hell out.

Now, wait a minute.

Having an opinion doesn't automatically make you correct. Having a different opinion from someone else doesn't mean you should be told you should get out of the city/state/country. And whether you want to eat at Chick-fil-A doesn't impact me and whether or not I will eat there. I'm not going to give you my opinion one way or the other, but I can choose to support (or not) any business I want to, just like you. If I don't agree with something someone does, I don't have to support it. If I agree with what someone does, I will certainly back 'em up. But what I do doesn't make me a better or worse person if it's not what you would choose.

I guess it just makes me sad to see that by having a different outlook on life, someone could and would think that I am stupid and wrong. We all come from different backgrounds - our education, socioeconomic status, upbringing, choices, places we've lived, experiences we've had, belief systems, race, gender, sexual orientation, etc., all make us unique and part of a bigger picture. We all see the world differently, and we all function as part of the world in different ways. And it doesn't make you right or wrong or better or worse than anyone else.

We should embrace our differences. We should ask questions, and try to understand one another better. We don't have to agree, but maybe we should just be better listeners, and at least recognize that someone else has a different point of view than us, even if we don't like it very much. Most of the time (not all, but most) that different opinion or way of life someone has? Isn't going to hurt you, not one bit. Remember the golden rule? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you? If we treat others how we want to be treated, maybe we'd be able to rise above name-calling and insults and threats and live in a little happier place.

Note: I know that not everyone will agree with this post. For some, the idea that someone thinks and acts differently is blasphemes. I'm not saying you have to agree with me. But it's my blog, and I wanted to give you my opinion. So thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you!! Unfortunately both 'sides' are in the wrong! Both have hurled rocks (literally and figuratively) Why cant we just agree to disagree and move on!!Why is it that we as a society fear or hate those who disagree with us or have a different view than we do?

    ReplyDelete