Monday, February 13, 2012

happy galentine's day.

(source.)
Today is Galentine's Day! If you're not familiar, it stems from an episode of Parks and Rec - Leslie (Amy Poehler) describes it by saying "Every February 13th my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home and we just come and kick it breakfast style. Ladies celebrating ladies."

Which got me thinking about my friends that I would love to hang out with on a day like today, but can't because I live nowhere near them.

Valentine's Day seems like kind of a made-up holiday, anyway, right? So why not celebrate a much cooler holiday for your friends who have stuck by you through thick and thin and all that jazz. Maybe that's just me. If you have a sweet Valentine's Day tradition or something. I just think if you're going to tell someone you like them a lot, you have 364 days of the year to do it that aren't so cliche.

But I digress.

I wanted to give a shout out to some of my "galentines" that I wish I could have had breakfast with today. Especially at a little place called Eleven City Diner - too bad it's in Chicago and nowhere near me...

this place rocks. melts faces a little.


The best part about having friends in other places is the opportunity to visit them. Somehow it makes it more fun to reunite, because you don't get a chance to see each other every day like you once did. I have friends all over the U.S. - Florida, Massachusetts, Iowa, Texas, Oklahoma, New York, California, Nevada, of course Michigan, and probably many other places I can't think of right now. Plus I have a few great friends right here in Colorado. It works, because it has to, but honestly it's easy to keep in touch with the people who are important to you.

So I just want to wish my gals a very Happy Galentine's Day... I'm looking forward to our reunions that we will undoubtedly happen soon (at least, sooner than later, I hope!) and the fun we'll have this year (and in the years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment